Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Tips for Staying Fit This School Year


Working out everyday in the summer is easy. Working out everyday when you are exhausted and mentally drained from teaching 75 students a day...not so much. However, I've found that if I keep to a workout schedule during the school year, I'm soooooo much happier and more pleasant to be around than if I don't make time for it. Both my students and husband thank me.

1. Plan out your life. I'm totally a check mark kind of girl. It gives me so much pleasure to write out a plan, follow through, and put a checkmark on it! It doesn't matter what kind of planner you use, but it does matter that it has a designated space to plan out exercise and meals. Here is one I made for myself as a teacher author. I also made a simplified version for teacher fitnessistas. It's a very simple format, but the little exercise symbols are great for scheduling your workouts and sticking to them!


If you want something cuter and more detailed, I would suggest Simply Secondary's Line. She has a ton of pretty ones to choose from. Then of course there's also the designer planners ($$$) from  Erin Condren. It doesn't matter what you choose, but the idea is to make a place for your workouts to fit into your teacher life because if you don't, it's not going to happen.

2. Find accountability partners. Last year this teacher at my school volunteered to teach a zumba class after work each Wednesday. It was fun because we could act silly with other teachers, get in a workout, and hold each other accountable to show up. There's also tons of opportunities to sign up with teacher friends for benefit runs and walks. If you from a teacher team, you are more likely to train together and stay motivated.

3. Wear comfortable shoes to work. When I wear my heels, I find that I don't get in nearly as many steps. I still wear them, but only on days that I've had a full workout before work (see below). If need extra steps that day, I will wear comfortable shoes and find more opportunities to walk. I recommend Reebok's Skyscape Runaround and Toms (I'm trying to like Born Flats, but they are rubbing my heels right now...hoping to break them in).
4. Fit in moments of activity into your teaching day.
I plan to do a full post on this soon, but for now I will tell you that I love to sneak activity time into my teaching. I do literary yoga with my students, ball toss review games, and a lot of fun ideas from this list: Move, Energize, Learn .

4. Become a morning workerouter. I know that some of you are thinking, "yeah right," but hear me out. Even if you only got up 15 minutes earlier, that's a guaranteed 15 minute workout. You can make plans to do more later in the day, but if those plans don't happen because of teacher issues that arise (after school tutoring, too exhausted from the day, etc) then at least you got in 15 minutes that day. Plus, you will be amazed at how much energy and clarity am workouts give you before heading to teach all day.
Here are my tips for making a morning workout happen:

  • Name your alarm something motivational 




  • Lay out your workout clothes, teacher outfit, and school bag the night before. You will be pushed for time, so make sure everything is in order before bed. 


  • Have your workout planned and queued up. If you are running, have your playlist ready. If you are doing a video, have it ready to play (I love Crunch Yoga Pilates!). If you are doing a youtube video, find the one you like the night before and have it ready (I hate it when I'm ready to workout but end up not liking the youtube video I thought I would love...a total motivation killer).
  • Consider using essential oils for better sleep. I just turned into an essential oil fan recently, and I'm so thankful to have found this stuff! We put it in our humidifier every night as well as rub some on our chests. My husband was going from 2 nosebleeds a day to zero. I love it because it opens up my nose and helps me to breath more deeply, thus helping me fall into a deeper sleep. I got some for my very skeptical stepdad, and he's already asking for more! We use DoTerra's Breathe. Here's another guide for essential oils for better sleep: Link


Here's to a healthy and happy school year! Be sure to follow me for updates and teaching tips! 

Instagram: Bsbooklove
Twitter: Bsbooklove



4 comments:

  1. These are good tips. I like the motivational alarm - I never thought of anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It worked on week 1, now for the next 36 ;)

      Delete
  2. I love these tips. I find it so hard to workout in the morning, so my friend and I take a class at night which makes us both go. Thanks for sharing :)
    @Wiley Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just love this. I have a new idea for staying fit. Why don't you give a try to pole dancing exercise classes. I think they are one of the best way to staying fit and healthy.

    ReplyDelete