Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Try it out Tuesday: Sticky Note Sentence Combining Strategy


This is the first in a weekly post I'm doing titled "Try it out Tuesday" where I test strategies or ideas that I've found on Pinterest. How many times do we pin something with plans to use it, but never do? Guilty! It is my hope that this weekly(ish) post will give me the boost I need to try out new ideas! I hope that it will inspire you as well :) 

Good intentions never change anything. They only become a deeper and deeper rut-Joyce Meyer

(I totally used one of my students' favorite tricks and googled "quotes about being in a rut" haha ;) 

Today's Try it Out Tuesday comes from a pin I found from Rudy's Room 


Procedure:
First, I wrote important quotes from chapter one of The Great Gatsby and put one of the quotes on each group's work area. Then, students got a sticky note and were told to write the significance of the quote on the sticky note. I stressed that this was silent and independent work. Next, I did a mini lesson on sentence combining (we also looked at some standardized test questions regarding this skill since the EOC is coming up). Lastly, groups practiced sentence combining by discussing all of the answers and combining their answers into one really good consensus.


Verdict:
I loved it! The students really liked it too, and it also served as a great way to assess their knowledge without giving a reading quiz. I will for sure use this strategy again! It can work with any open-ended question!

If you would like a copy of the form I used, click here for a free Google Doc From:
Sticky Note Sentence Combining 



No comments:

Post a Comment